All-in-One Balloon and Kite Mapping Kit
This product is temporarily unavailable to accommodate our limited capacity while practicing physical distancing. For more information on COVID-19 related changes to our store, visit PublicLab.org/kits.
Buyers outside the US, please select Balloon and Kite Shipping option. This sends your TWO packages.
All-in-One Balloon and Kite Mapping and Aerial Photography Kit.
The weather is always changing and this kit provides an all-weather solution for kite and ballooning weather. If it is too windy to fly a balloon simply use the same reel and line and swivel with either of the kites. There are 2 different kites for varying amounts of wind, both have the same simple and sturdy delta design.
Balloon and Reel:
Best for windless days, this DIY kit -- developed by community researchers from Public Lab -- enables you to take your own aerial photos from 1000 ft or higher. Using the open source tool MapKnitter, you can stitch the resulting images into an online map -- your own "counter-cartography" version of Google Maps. Use it to tell a different story from the "official" map -- document contamination (it was used to map the BP oil spill) or wetlands loss, or to record a temporary condition like the Occupy Oakland encampment.
Each kit includes:
- A 5.5 foot (170cm) reusable* balloon made of a latex/chloroprene (neoprene) mix
- 1000 feet (305m) of 110lb test (55 kilo) Dacron line, pre-wound on an 8" hoop winder
- protective leather-palm cotton gloves for handling the line. Thin line can cause burns to unprotected hands.
- three (3) high-strength (270lb) swivel clips. For attaching the balloon and camera
- 20 rubber bands. for making a camera cradle
- three (3) reusable velcro ties. for closing the balloon
- one (1) 1" rubber ring. for attaching the balloon to the line
- one (1) steel carabiner. for anchoring the balloon on the ground
- two (2) aluminum mini carabiners. for attaching cameras to the line
- printed instruction booklet
- reusable box with handle
*We are seeing 5-12 inflations if the balloon is minimally filled (40-50 cu ft) 3-5 if it is medium inflated (60-70 cu ft) and 2-3 inflations if the balloon is filled all the way to 80-85 cu ft.
Save money on helium when there's wind and map with kites! Our Kite Mapping Set complements your Balloon Mapping Kit with two delta kites-- Gomberg's 7' (213 cm) Hi Sky Delta and 9' (274 cm) Dazzle Delta. These kites come with four ribbon tails and a 15' (4.5m) fuzzy tail. Tails can be used to stabilize kites in gusty and variable winds, and even to fly off-wind. Both kites are safe to fly in 5-18mph winds (8-30kph), but two sizes let you pick the easiest kite to handle given the weather.
- 7' (213cm) Hi Sky Delta Kite
- 9' (274cm) Dazzle Delta Kite
- 15' (4.5m) Fuzzy Tail
To learn more about balloon mapping and get involved in the community, check out the open source documentation on the Public Lab website.