Lego Spectrometer Kit
Due to limitations caused by COVID 19 we are currently only stocking the basic webcam variant of this product. For more information on COVID-19 related changes to our store, visit PublicLab.org/kits.
The Lego spectrometer is a tool that helps to analyze the chemical composition of a sample. By passing light through a sample, scattering it so that it is captured by a camera as bands of color, then transforming those bands into a graph, it is possible to start identifying chemicals that may be present in a sample. Your Lego spectrometer workflow might look like:
- Record a spectra on the lego spectrometer by passing light through the sample
- Upload the photo to SpectralWorkbench.org to convert the spectra to a graph
- Compare the spectra of the sample to known spectras in order to draw conclusions about what may (or may not) be present
Each Kit Includes:
- Lego parts to build an enclosure and block outside light
- 2 cuvettes to collect samples
- a printed slit for collimating the light
- a DVD for the diffraction grating
- a black card to use as a light-proof liner
- double-sided tape to mount the camera
- Just the kit without camera or Raspberry Pi
- With a basic webcam
- With a Raspberry Pi v1 camera (no Rapberry Pi)
- With camera and a Raspberry Pi Zero W
- With NoIR camera and a Raspberry Pi Zero W
Building this kit for yourself? Check out the assembly instructions here.
Already have a kit? Shop upgrades and add-on accessories here.